Reference material : Mental Health Practitioner ( Achology Certified ) by Kain Ramsay.
Immediacy: Building Trust, Connection and Closeness in Communication
Immediacy is an important communication skill that helps people develop stronger, more trusting relationships.
At its core, immediacy means being fully present with another person.
When we communicate with immediacy, we show the other person that, in that moment, they have our attention and that what they are thinking, feeling, or experiencing matters to us.
This sense of presence can create emotional safety, strengthen trust, and encourage greater openness within a relationship.
Immediacy is communicated not only through the words we use, but also through our tone of voice, facial expressions, eye contact, posture, attention, and willingness to engage honestly with what is happening between us.
What Is Immediacy?
Immediacy can be understood as the ability to recognize and openly address what is happening in the present moment between two people.
Rather than speaking only about events, facts, or other people, immediacy sometimes brings attention to the relationship itself.
For example, you may notice a change in the other person's behaviour, mood, tone, or body language and gently invite them to explore it with you.
You might say:
“I noticed that you became quieter when we started talking about this. I'm wondering what you're feeling right now.”
Or:
“I may be wrong, but I get the sense that something between us feels uncomfortable at the moment. Is that how it feels to you?”
These kinds of statements bring attention to what is happening in the conversation right now.
The purpose is not to diagnose the other person.
The purpose is to invite exploration.
Offering a Hunch
One form of immediacy involves carefully sharing an impression about what another person may be experiencing.
For example:
“You've mentioned that you don't usually get angry, but I'm sensing some frustration toward me at the moment, even though you're speaking very calmly. I may be reading it incorrectly, but I wanted to check.”
Notice the difference between this and saying:
“You are angry with me.”
The first statement is tentative.
It leaves room for the other person to disagree or clarify.
Healthy immediacy should therefore sound like curiosity rather than accusation.
Useful expressions include:
“I wonder if…”
“I get the impression that…”
“I may be wrong, but…”
“I'm noticing…”
“How is this conversation feeling for you?”
These phrases invite conversation instead of forcing an interpretation onto someone.
Why Immediacy Can Strengthen Relationships
People generally respond positively when they feel that someone is genuinely present with them.
Immediacy communicates several important messages:
“You have my attention.”
“What you are saying matters.”
“I am interested in understanding you.”
“I am willing to be open with you.”
“I care about what is happening between us.”
These messages can strengthen rapport and encourage honesty.
Over time, this can help create deeper levels of trust and connection.
Immediacy is therefore particularly valuable in close relationships, friendships, coaching, counselling, mentoring, leadership, and other situations where trust and openness are important.
Immediacy in the Workplace
Immediacy is not limited to personal relationships.
It can also improve communication within organisations.
Consider a supervisor who regularly communicates in a distant, formal, or dismissive manner.
Employees may hesitate to share concerns, mistakes, ideas, or disagreements because they are uncertain about how the supervisor will respond.
Now consider a supervisor who is attentive, approachable, and willing to have honest conversations.
An employee may feel safer saying:
“I've been having difficulty meeting the deadline because the workload has increased.”
or:
“I think there may be a problem with the process that we should discuss.”
When leaders communicate with appropriate immediacy, employees may experience them as more interested, accessible, and concerned about what is happening.
This can encourage employees to communicate problems earlier rather than allowing them to grow.
It may also contribute to stronger working relationships, greater engagement, improved morale, and increased job satisfaction.
Immediacy does not mean removing professional boundaries.
It means remaining human and present within those boundaries.
Immediacy Must Be Appropriate
Although immediacy can strengthen communication, it should not be used mechanically.
People differ considerably in how comfortable they are with emotional openness.
Culture, personality, social expectations, gender norms, hierarchy, age, previous experiences, and the nature of the relationship can all influence how immediacy is interpreted.
A communication style that feels warm and friendly to one person may feel overly familiar to another.
For example, prolonged eye contact, close physical distance, personal disclosure, or direct discussion about emotions may be welcomed in one cultural or relational context but considered uncomfortable or inappropriate in another.
Therefore, effective immediacy requires sensitivity.
The goal is not to create closeness regardless of what the other person wants.
The goal is to create enough safety for genuine communication.
Respect the Level of the Relationship
Immediacy should also reflect the actual level of closeness between people.
Someone you have known for many years may welcome personal questions or emotional discussion.
Someone you have only just met may not.
Trying to create emotional closeness too quickly can be misunderstood.
A person may interpret friendliness as excessive familiarity or even assume that the behaviour indicates romantic or personal interest when that was never intended.
This is why context matters.
Healthy immediacy respects boundaries.
Connection should be invited, not imposed.
Some People May Find Immediacy Difficult
Not everyone is comfortable with deeper communication.
Some people become uncomfortable when conversations become personal, emotional, or reflective.
They may prefer to discuss facts rather than feelings.
Others may fear conflict, vulnerability, judgment, or emotional exposure.
In those situations, attempts to deepen the conversation may create anxiety rather than trust.
For example, if someone is already uncomfortable discussing a sensitive issue, asking repeated questions about how they feel may make them withdraw further.
Good communication therefore requires us to observe how the other person is responding.
If they appear uncomfortable, allow them space.
Immediacy should encourage communication, not pressure someone into intimacy.
Practical Ways to Communicate With Immediacy
There are several ways to demonstrate immediacy both verbally and nonverbally.
1. Use Appropriate Self-Disclosure
Self-disclosure means sharing something meaningful about yourself.
When used appropriately, it can communicate trust.
For example:
“I've experienced something similar, and I remember finding it difficult to talk about.”
This can tell the other person:
“I am willing to be open with you.”
However, self-disclosure should support the conversation rather than redirect attention toward yourself.
The focus should remain on the person who originally shared their experience.
2. Pay Attention to Your Body Language
Our bodies communicate even when we say nothing.
An open posture, relaxed expression, appropriate physical orientation, and visible attentiveness can communicate interest.
By contrast, frequently checking your phone, turning away, crossing your arms tightly, repeatedly looking at the clock, or scanning the room may communicate:
“I would rather be somewhere else.”
Physical behaviour should therefore support the message you are trying to communicate.
3. Give the Other Person Your Attention
Listen carefully to what the person is saying.
Avoid mentally preparing your response while they are still speaking.
Instead, concentrate on understanding their message.
You can demonstrate that you are listening through small verbal responses such as:
“I see.”
“Go on.”
“That makes sense.”
“What happened next?”
You can also summarise what you heard:
“So the part that upset you most was not the decision itself, but the fact that nobody consulted you.”
This helps the speaker know whether you have understood them correctly.
4. Talk About What Is Happening Between You
Sometimes it is helpful to address what you notice happening within the conversation itself.
For example:
“I've noticed that you've avoided eye contact since we started discussing this. I'm wondering whether this conversation is uncomfortable for you.”
Or:
“I feel as though we've become a little distant during this discussion. How does it feel from your side?”
The important point is to describe what you observe rather than claiming to know what the other person is thinking.
Instead of:
“You're avoiding me because you don't trust me.”
say:
“I've noticed that you seem more distant today. Is something making this conversation difficult?”
Observation creates space.
Assumption creates defensiveness.
5. Acknowledge Positive Qualities Genuinely
Recognising another person's positive qualities can also strengthen connection.
For example:
“I've always appreciated how dependable you've been.”
or:
“One thing I respect about you is that you usually think carefully before making a decision.”
Genuine appreciation can communicate that you notice and value the person.
However, compliments should be sincere.
Praise loses its value when it is exaggerated, manipulative, or used to obtain something.
6. Recognise Shared Experiences
Talking about common ground can strengthen relationships.
Shared experiences communicate:
“We have something in common.”
This may involve recalling something you experienced together, discussing shared interests, or acknowledging common goals.
For example:
“We've worked through difficult projects together before, and I think that experience will help us here.”
Shared experiences can create a sense of connection without requiring deeply personal disclosure.
7. Use Encouraging Verbal Cues
Small verbal cues can encourage the other person to continue.
For example:
“Tell me more.”
“What happened after that?”
“How did you respond?”
“What was that like for you?”
These responses communicate genuine interest.
The key is not simply to ask questions, but to listen carefully to the answers.
8. Maintain Appropriate Eye Contact
Eye contact is one of the clearest ways of communicating attention.
Constantly looking elsewhere while someone is speaking can make them feel ignored.
However, appropriate eye contact does not mean staring continuously at another person.
Natural communication includes looking away occasionally.
What matters is that your overall behaviour communicates:
“I am here with you.”
Recognising Non-Immediacy
Just as certain behaviours increase connection, others can create emotional distance.
Examples may include:
speaking in a flat or uninterested tone,
frequently looking away,
checking your phone,
avoiding eye contact entirely,
maintaining a tense or closed posture,
showing little facia
